Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kid Billy sings with the Arkansas Symphony

Nothing worse than a gloating grandmother-who-raised-a-grandson-from-8-months-to-18-years. But that's what you've got today, friends.

When I retrieved this sleeping baby from the foster home where he had been for a few hours one Thanksgiving weekend, I would never have envisioned that, in time, he would grace the stage--along with other students in 5 college/ university choirs from the central part of the state--of the Robinson Music Hall in Little Rock and sing Beethoven's 9th Symphony in all its splendor.

But there he was, and with the help of field glasses, we found him in the 4th (of 6) row, near the end "by the bald man." I also watched him sing. "German is such a beautiful language," he'd said earlier. I thought it was harsh.

"A lesson in patience," my aunt whispered. They had come on stage --black-gowned and tuxedo-ed--before the third movement and stood stock-still, all eyes on Maestro Itkin, until time for their chorus. These were the same folks who any other time would be seen with eyes and fingers on their iPhones and with iPods in their ears.

After three curtain calls, we dispersed and found Billy in the hall by the mezzanine door. Hugs all around for his two aunts, and two friends--one who had attended his school earlier, and who had also sung the Ninth--and his grandmother.

The $50 tickets were worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Pat,
    I'd like to be the first to say I'm happy that your grandson sang with the Arkansas Symphony. You can be proud of him. You've earned that right. A job well done.

    Freeda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't jump to your feet and scream Whoooooo Pig, Sooey! did you? Most modern events at church and elsewhere seem to have that component these days. Youth watching other youth sing a beautiful anthem might break into an Arsenio Hall, Oooh, oooh, oooh, at the conclusion. Not much decorum anymore. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought is that you are a very early riser or a very late comer homer, but either way, power to you. Your discription makes me sorry I missed the concert--- but I have missed a lot in my time. Practice you know. Good show, or as a navy term, Bravo Zulu. BLT

    ReplyDelete