Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Various reactions to a 1972-year-old with a new blog

Thanks to all who welcomed me (in your comments & emails) to the blogosphere. Others have not been so sure.
One dear man (also a Texan, Dennis) asked why should anyone "be interested in reading another person's personal diary?" That when he was young and naive, he kept his diary under lock and key. "So what am I missing in 2009 when people want to reveal all their thoughts and impressions?" He wonders if it's the generation gap.
Another dear man, my elder son from Gulf Breeze FL, when told that his picture appears with me on the new blog, said it was OK. That his wife had just joined Facebook and was amazed at how many friends & former co-workers have"come out of the woodwork to be her friend."
Another dear man, my younger son from Hot Springs, AR, answered my email about his mother now being a blogger. "Neat, but it says you are 1972 years old? HA HA.
Still another dear man, the editor of a weekly regional newspaper, THE (Amity, AR) STANDARD for which I write, when asked if I could post parts of my columns after they were published, wrote: "Sure...It's your writing before and after you submit it to me." Then he joked, "Those who can do. Those who can't....blog (hehe)."
And then there's my pastor, of course a dear man who also is a commenter, who (in jest) urged me not to say anything I'd regret later.
Two telephone calls about the new blog came before the day was over. One, from a local newspaper poetry-column editor, wanted to know what I was doing with a blog. "You know you'll run out of stuff to write pretty soon, don't you?" I begged his pardon, and this morning while reading my devo materials (a subject for later), made 4 entries in my journal as blog ideas.
The final phone (cell) call came at 10 pm. Kid Billy, the university freshman whom I raised; he with a Facebook account, called in disbelief. "Tell me you didn't really get a blog!" I don't know what he thought would happen if his friends (music majors) found out.
If Methuselah lived 900 years, I guess I'll outlive him at 1972 years. Maybe by then, I'll have my first novel finished.

1 comment:

  1. You know you can change that 1972 if you don't feel like remaining that old. Great job. You are on the way. I thought I would run out of subjects in about a week, but I keep plugging. The format changes from time to time, as does your readership, but the great thing about a blog is it's yours. You can do whatever you want with it. Keep up the good work. Pappy

    ReplyDelete