Thursday, February 12, 2009

On Lincoln's Birthday: A Cinquain Sequence

FYI--if anyone is curious-- the type of cinquains I write are syllabic: five lines: line 1= 2 syllables; line 2= 4 syllables; line 3,=6 syllables; line 4= 8 syllables, line 5= 2 syllables.


After

days of meetings,

I sit on the heating

pad and gaze out the window at

winter.


Winter -

bare trees, solid,

black, leafless, silent, seem

- like me - resting through one more month

before


the sap

rises, the temps

warm. One day, I'll look up

from my reading or writing to see,

even


at this

distance, and see

that a touch of green hides

the ebony limbs of the oaks.

Smoke will


rise no

longer from the

chimney across the road

as ghostly, wispy wraiths among

the limbs.


Likewise,

I'll rise, backache

gone, the spring of Spring kick-

-ing winter's grayness from my dull

psyche.


By now,

my coffee's cold.

The morning sun brightens

this windless day. Warmth has turned me

sleepy.


Fifteen

minutes are all

I need to kickstart my

latent energy. Well, that and

breakfast.


c - February 12, 2009

by Pat Laster




2 comments:

  1. Coffee, a breath or six of crisp morning air, both best taken alone and by the sea. That would please me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat,
    Came over from Pappy's (Dennis) to check on you.
    Welcome to this new adventure - you'll do just fine.
    Love the poetry. My favorite line was 'warmth has turned me sleepy.'

    ReplyDelete