Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine Gift from a 6-year-old

Today, Kid Billy -- grandson-whom-I-raised -- is nearly 19. When he was six... well, here's what happened. ..
_____
Today, Valentine's Day, 1996, I wear a ring which dropped from the toy machine when KB deposited a quarter. He proffered it right there in the market, and I put it on my empty ring finger. He beamed in child-like innocence.

This circle of tin hearts reminded me of another ring -- a Christmas present from Jack-of-the-ill-fated second marriage. That he'd given me the heave-ho four months earlier made the gift doubly special.

Jack's ring, a better quality metal, was yellow gold filigree with two dainty hearts entwined. Oh, the melody I attached to that beautiful circle: Jack still loved me but was too proud to admit it. I showed the ring to everyone. Again and again, I sang the same tune. My friends, aware of my recent heartbreak, smiled kindly and nodded.

"N-a-w," Jack said when confronted with my song of symbolism. The retired sailor tossed his gray-red head. His eyes twinkled. A chuckle gurgled, encircled the wry grin lighting his ruddy face. "It don't mean anything; it's just a purty ring."

"O-o-oe-h-eh-e-e-k-k." My song of hope veered severely off key and died away.

Until today, I hadn't thought about Jack's friendship ring for many years. Was that a sign of healing? He had remarried yet a third time and I'd gone on with my life. I hadn't seen the ring, either, but I found it with some other pieces I had gathered for a cluster ring, a nugget or brooch.

Valentine's Day is the anniversary of our short-lived marriage. Today, most of the investments into the union seem trivial: the $300 wedding ring I bought him, maxing out my Penney's credit; the holly tree--a wedding gift from friends--that he refused to dig up; two gardenia bushes I'd rooted and planted; my 27-year name identity.

The developing friendship with his family coasted to a stop and my disenchantment with destiny heightened. Was Dame Fate just another tooth fairy? Another Santa Claus?

From a 13-year perspective, the advantages of that breakup far outweighed the negatives. Being single allowed me to become guardian of KB as well as the freedom to further develop my own interests. I even relocated and took a new job.

A boy and his tin ring remind me each Valentine's Day that life tempers painful losses with unimagined gains, given enough time.

I hope you all had a happy Valentine's Day in 2009.

2 comments:

  1. I did and thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the neat thing about blogging - people seem more willing to share in this format. You are catching on quickly. Pappy

    ReplyDelete