Thursday, July 23, 2009

new blog: pittypat

Yesterday when I couldn't access Pat's Patter, I fiddled around with this outfit and came up with (or it came up for me) a place for a new blog. I named it "pittypat" because "Pat's Patter" was already in use!!! Now if I could figure out how to move that post into this blog, I would be one happy blogger.
Pappy and Dot Hatfield (both with blogs) answered my plea for assistance, thankyouverymuch, guys. Now, why was I able to access this site today and not yesterday? Oh, well, never mind. If I can (or anyone reading this can) figure out a way to move that post to this site, I'd be much obliged. Denman, can you help?
Three daily trips to Arkadelphia (AR) to take Kid Billy to Dr./ Mr. Worth's College Algebra class in Evans Hall have been fruitful. Tuesday, after driving very slowly through a hard rainstorm just outside Benton, the rest of the trip down was uneventful. By the time I let KB off at the fountain, it had begun to sprinkle.
It rained the rest of the morning, meaning I could not sit in the park at the backmost picnic table abutting the woods that separated the park from OBU. So I drove back to Caddo Valley (not to be a part of Arkadelphia, thanks to a lopsided vote just a few days before) and McDonalds. It was 8 am. Over coffee--for the first time ever, McDonald's coffee was NOT good: it was old and very strong--and orange juice, I read the newspaper.
Everyone has a certain way they read the paper. I begin with the front section, transcribing any action -verb- adjective- noun- unusual surnames into my notebook. Next, the Arkansas section, the front pages only of the sports and business pages, then the style page, ending with the cryptoquote and crossword puzzles.
Looking back over the entries, I see these surnames: (When/if I use them, I lose the capitals) Duke, Buffalo, Baldy, Key, Berry, Bush, Gates, Pickler, Gray, Wolf, Tenet, Little, Horn, Huddle, Bridge, Ball, Bland, Earls, Clem, Brake, Hedges, Ezell, Jordan, Burns, Broach, Ray, Hand, Hill, Woods, Aaron, Henry, Crews, Guy, White, Brooks, May, West, Marchbanks, Jolly and Nicolai.
One of the chapters of my forever-in-progress novel was written using such a list. It was published in CALLIOPE several years ago.
Other bites of information end up on the page, too. I didn't know that lakes have 3 levels: an inactive pool - the lowest (below that, it's necessary to utilize hydropower outlets), the conservation pool the range where engineers prefer to keep the water level, and the flood control pool, or the top level. (from an article by Evie Blad about Beaver Lake's drawdown.)
When KB called, he walked to the car in the still-falling rain, and it rained all the way home. That happens sometimes. Later. pl

1 comment:

  1. I got this posting of yours by calling it up from my Favorites folder. That just about taxes the limits of my knowledge of this mysterious device, Sorry I cannot be more help. The address in my folder is as in your e- mail. I do no even know enough to fully compreend the problem. BLT

    ReplyDelete